The Vancouver Police and Vancouver Fire Department are teaming up again this summer and asking residents to do their part in preventing fires from occurring in their neighbourhoods.
As the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, the danger of deliberately set fires gets greater.
Police and fire investigators attend many intentionally lit fires that occur as a result of someone igniting debris that is left outside of garages and homes.
There are several things that can be done to help prevent you from becoming the victim of arson this summer:
- report all suspicious activity or people to police immediately through 9-1-1
- install motion detector lights at the rear of your home
- keep your yard and laneway tidy
- don’t put your garbage or recycling containers out until the morning of pick-up
- don’t leave or store old mattresses and furniture in your backyard, carport or laneway
- dispose of garden trimmings promptly
- store all flammable materials safely and out of sight