A Vancouver Police investigation has led to charges against two people who allegedly committed a violent home invasion that left a grandmother injured and nine innocent teens badly shaken last month.
“This crime was brazen and violent. We are relieved to have quickly apprehended the people we believe are responsible,” says Sergeant Steve Addison. “Everyone should feel safe in their own home, especially an 89-year-old grandmother and a group of young people who were doing nothing wrong.”
The home invasion occurred shortly before midnight on August 24, when two people allegedly forced their way into a home near Rupert Street and East 2nd Avenue, in East Vancouver. VPD investigators believe the suspects – a 16-year-old from Surrey and a 24-year-old from Vancouver – may have targeted the wrong home or were possibly looking for someone who wasn’t there.
“Instead of finding their intended target, the home invasion suspects encountered a house full of people who became innocent victims,” says Sergeant Addison, adding the senior and one of the teens sustained injuries during the home invasion.
The two home invasion suspects fled in a vehicle with an accomplice, but all three were quickly apprehended as VPD officers responded to 9-1-1 calls about the home invasion.
While the VPD investigation is ongoing, BC Prosecution Service has approved a number of criminal charges.
Isaiah Castro, 24, has been charged with break and enter, robbery with a firearm, assault causing bodily harm, wearing a disguise with intent to commit an indictable offence, possession of a prohibited weapon, and possession of a firearm while prohibited.
A 16-year-old from Surrey, who cannot be identified because of his age, has been charged with break and enter, robbery with a firearm, assault causing bodily harm, and wearing a disguise with intent to commit an indictable offence.
A 17-year-old from Vancouver, who also cannot be named because of his age, was released from custody on an undertaking pending his next court appearance.