Probationary Constable – $85,392
4th Class Constable (after one year) – $91,500
3rd Class Constable (after two years) – $97,596
2nd Class Constable (after three years) – $109,788
1st Class Constable (after four years) – $121,992
VPD officers have many opportunities to work overtime during staffing shortages, at events, or on movie sets.
Constables also become eligible for pay increments up to 115% of the 1st Class Constable wage through professional development.
VPD officers have countless opportunities to work overtime, including for the many events that happen in the city throughout the year.
- In the first year of service, annual leave will be 2 weeks (pro-rated)
- During the second up to and including the seventh calendar year of service – 3 weeks
- During the eighth up to and including the fifteenth calendar year of service – 4 weeks
- During the sixteenth up to and including the twenty-second calendar year of service – 5 weeks
- During the twenty-third and all subsequent calendar years of service – 6 weeks
Medical and Dental
Our benefits include:
- Unlimited lifetime amount for extended health benefits for officers, their spouses, and dependents
- Maternity Leave top-up benefits at 100% for 17 weeks
- Parental Leave top up to 100% for an additional 35 weeks
- Psychological Services Plan benefit of $5000/year
- Fertility coverage up to a $20,000 lifetime maximum
Our Employee Wellness Unit is second to none and includes the following:
- Peer Support Team
- Physical Health & Performance Team
- Access to on-site fitness facilities
- Critical Incident Stress Management Team
- On-site physiotherapy, athletic therapy, and registered massage therapy
- Multi-faith Chaplaincy service
We take care of our people.
Whether your playground is the ski hills, the ocean, or forest trails, or you are looking for world-class restaurants, nightlife, shopping, cultural and sporting events, Vancouver can offer it all. Add to that unbeatable and memorable experiences for families, and you realize that Vancouver is the place to be.
After graduation, you will be prepared to hit the streets of Vancouver, however, your training does not end there. The VPD is committed to training throughout your career.
You will have numerous opportunities to develop new skills, through in-house courses, and advanced programs at the JIBC or the Canadian Police College. VPD members also train annually at our state-of-the-art tactical training centre, which includes an indoor firearms range and force options gymnasium.
There is a common bond that unites our officers, even though they come from many different backgrounds and circumstances: We are committed to public safety, and to keeping one another safe. At the end of the day, you can return home, satisfied knowing that you and your team mates have made a positive difference in the world, and in the lives of others. When those days are difficult, you have an extraordinary group of co-workers, pulling you through, lifting you up, and making the world right again.
We take care of our people.