Labs are often found in rental properties, but can be anywhere, including motel or hotel rooms, vehicles, and motor homes, and even outside.
Suspicious activities that may indicate a lab or the beginning of a lab:
- dumping of a large amount of chemical containers, normally with all labels torn off
- purchase and storage of a number of chemicals, road flares or pseudo ephedrine products
- night time activity around the residence
- chemical smells, similar to urine for meth and saffarole (licorice) for Ecstasy
- excessive staining on windows
Often people have been inside a lab without recognizing it. Look for:
- red stains on counter tops, bathtubs or sinks (this is caused the heating of the red phosphorous)
- stained coffee filters
- commercial chemical glassware
- chemical smells
If you discover a lab, don’t touch, turn off or move anything. Leave the site immediately and 9-1-1. It is extremely important you remain available to speak with attending police members.