Vancouver Police today announced that information has recently come to light that suggests there are people with key information about a 2018 double homicide, who have not yet spoken with police.

On January 13, 2018, a 23-year-old Vancouver man, Kevin Whiteside, and a 15-year-old Coquitlam boy, Alfred Wong, were killed at East Broadway Avenue and Ontario Street near Indochine Kitchen and Bar.

“I am pleased with how the investigation is progressing, but we know there are people who have critical information who have refused to provide investigators with that information,” says Staff Sergeant Mike Heard, Team Commander for the VPD detectives investigating the file. “We are making an appeal to these people to do the right thing and speak with us. Their information could help form important evidence that will make a significant difference in how this investigation plays out.”

Victim Alfred Wong was in a vehicle with his family, driving through the area, when he was shot and killed. Police have previously indicated that there was an exchange of gunfire between two men which resulted in the innocent teen’s death.

“We know nothing can be done to bring Alfred back, but we think he deserves justice for his tragic death and we desperately want to know what happened that night. Without your help, the police may not be able to arrest the killer, and our son will not be able to lay in rest,” said Chelly Wong, Alfred’s mother. “We ask for your help in giving closure to our grief. Please help us ensure the person responsible for killing our son is held accountable. We will forever be grateful for your help.”

Investigators believe that Kevin Whiteside was in the area to allegedly kill 28-year-old Vancouver resident, Matthew Navas-Rivas, who was at the Indochine restaurant with a female companion. As the two left the restaurant, another person opened fire.

The gunfire led to the deaths of Kevin Whiteside and Alfred Wong. Navas-Rivas was unharmed that night, however, he was murdered in an unrelated incident, months later, on July 15, 2018 in Vancouver. The investigation into his death is ongoing.

Anyone who may have information about this murder is asked to contact detectives at 604-717-0515 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.