Vancouver – A four-year Vancouver Police investigation has led to charges in the 2018 double murder that took the life of 15-year-old Alfred Wong, Vancouver Police Chief Constable Adam Palmer announced today.

“This was a long and complex investigation, which took some of VPD’s most experienced homicide investigators across the country to secure and gather evidence,” Chief Palmer said, in announcing charges against Kane Carter for the January 2018 deaths of Wong and 23-year-old Kevin Whiteside.

“Investigators interviewed hundreds of witnesses and processed thousands of exhibits. And while it has taken more than four years to arrive here, I was always confident this day would come.”

Wong was a young athlete and a promising student on the night of January 13, 2018, when he was struck by a stray bullet while riding in the back of his parents’ car. He was critically injured and died days later in hospital. Whiteside was also killed in the shooting.

VPD investigators have long believed that Whiteside, who was involved in gang life, had come to the area that night to shoot a rival who was having dinner at a restaurant near Broadway and Ontario Street, in Mount Pleasant. Gunfire was exchanged on the street as the Wong family passed by the restaurant in their car. A stray bullet entered the vehicle and struck Alfred.

Following an exhaustive investigation, Vancouver Police formally arrested Carter in Ontario yesterday.

Carter, 26, has been charged with two counts of second degree murder, and one count of aggravated assault for the shooting of a third person, who was not seriously injured. He is also charged with discharging a firearm with the intent to injure Whiteside.

“I’d like to acknowledge the Wong family and thank them for their patience throughout this investigation. This has been an incredibly difficult time in their lives,” adds Chief Palmer. “I hope this arrest will bring them some sense of peace.”

Chief Palmer also has a strong message for anyone engaged in gang life or criminal activity.

“Your actions have consequences. On January 13, 2018, those actions resulted in the death of a promising young man and forever changed a family that loved him very much.

“This arrest, coming more than four years later, should serve as a warning. No matter how long it takes, no matter what stands in our way, the men and women of the Vancouver Police Department will never stop their relentless pursuit of the truth, evidence, and accountability for those who commit violent crimes.”

Statement from the family of Alfred Wong

Alfred’s family would like to thank the Vancouver Police Department and any others involved in the ongoing investigation for their tireless efforts and commitment despite the difficulties of the ongoing pandemic.

We understand the Vancouver Police Department has now made an arrest and that charges have been laid. We are optimistic that all those involved in the crime will be brought to justice. We hope that Alfred’s death will be a catalyst for change in combating gang violence in the Greater Vancouver Area and that going forward there will be no more similar incidents.

Alfred’s family would like to thank everyone for their support and would like to request that their privacy continue to be respected. All matters pertaining to the case should go through and be handled by the Vancouver Police Department at this time.