Call 911

911 is to be used only for emergencies (police, fire or medical) where an immediate response is required – when there is an emergency and lives are in danger, immediate action is required or there is a crime in progress.

Most calls to 911 ARE NOT of an emergency nature and an immediate response IS NOT required.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired, find out how to register and use Text 9-1-1.

Call (604) 717-3321

(604) 717-3321 should be used for all non-emergency situations, where an immediate response or dispatch of the police IS NOT required – when some time has elapsed since the incident occurred, the crime suspect is not on the scene or you are calling about a nuisance issue (e.g. noisy party, graffiti).

Crimes in Other Jurisdictions

If you need to report a non-emergency crime that occured outside of Vancouver, please contact the appropriate police agency.

9-1-1 and Dispatch Service

E-Comm is the 9-1-1 call-centre and dispatch service used by the Vancouver Police Department. E-Comm staff answer 9-1-1 calls, as well as non-emergency calls, and then transfer calls to dispatch VPD officers, if needed.

Find out more about how 9-1-1 works and when to call 9-1-1 at www.ecomm911.ca.

When to Call 9-1-1


VPD Contact Information

See Contact the VPD for locations and other contact information.


If you can see the graffiti happening now, call 9-1-1 - it is a crime in progress.

If you observe graffiti on your property, call our non-emergency number at (604) 717-3321, or report it online.

If you find graffiti elsewhere, call 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver, call 604-873-7000).

If you have questions about graffiti or would like to submit photos, please email them to vpdgraffiti@vpd.ca.

For more information on managing graffiti, visit this City of Vancouver webpage.

Other City Issues – Who to Call

Problems involving garbage, unsafe street conditions and municipal code violations should be reported to the local department holding responsibility.

Crimes in Other Jurisdictions

The VPD is responsible for policing in the City of Vancouver. If you need reporting a crime that has happened in another city or area, please contact the appropriate police agency.